Join us as we put love in action within our community by loving and supporting others this holiday season! Below are a number of ways you can serve through various collections, service opportunities, and financial gifts.
As you show love, we want to see your pictures and videos! Tag us on social media and/or email photos/videos to Mary Gibson.
If you have any questions, contact Michelle Clark.
Collections can be dropped off Tuesdays-Thursdays between 9 am and noon in the plastic bin outside the double glass doors by the church office. These will be gathered and brought inside throughout the morning. If you need a different drop off time, please contact Michelle Clark or Betsy Spencer. Accommodations can also be made for pickup if needed.
Collections will go to Arlington Charities serving Arlington and AISD families
- Grocery bags with a list of needed items will be distributed at Trunk or Treat on October 31 OR you can pack your groceries in your own bag.
- They can be delivered directly to Arlington Charities at 811 Secretary Drive, Arlington 76015
What to include:
- Green beans
- Chicken broth
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Cranberry sauce
- Mac & cheese
- Instant potatoes
- French fried onions
- $20 gift card for meat – Aldi’s, Kroger, Tom Thumb, Walmart
Our 50+ homebound members are loved and appreciated throughout the year by staff and dedicated volunteers. But being at home alone or in a facility during the holidays (especially during COVID) can be especially difficult. Help us spread some Christian love by providing some of the following items.
Please let us know which and how many of each item you will provide by Sunday, December 13. These items will be assembled in a socially distant way and quarantined after delivery to assure the safety of everyone. Volunteers and staff will deliver the items to the recipients.
- Puzzle books (large print) & pens
- Homemade candy, cookies, bread
- Pretty lanyards for house/room keys or glasses
- Scented lotion
- Men’s socks
- Small holiday plant/cactus (not full size)
- Inspirational quote or bible verse in a 5x7 decorative frame
- Handwritten notes (need about 50)
Distributed through Arlington Urban Ministries, Christmas stockings will be assembled with gift donations from the FUMC family to our homeless friends. The following items are needed to complete the stockings for both men and women:
- Gloves & scarves (with touchscreen finger tips)
- Good quality lip balm
- Body spray
- $10 gift cards to McDonald's, Wendy's, Subway (located in downtown Arlington)
- Handwritten notes (need 50)
For Webb & Kooken Elementary schools and the Life Shelter, we are collecting NEW children’s coats of all sizes from 5T to teenagers. Collections will continue through Christmas.
Turn Plastic Bags into Sleeping Mats
Imagine a project that is simple, fun, and offers comfort to those experiencing homelessness while protecting the environment. An added bonus is that it can be done by individuals or groups of all ages at home or in a small group. The three-minute video tutorial below explains the process and the different ways you can participate in FUMC Arlington’s new outreach project beginning during the holiday season. Feel free to work at home OR if you would like to learn in person, join our small groups. Space is limited and reservation required. RSVP to Michelle Clark.
Small group dates:
- Wednesday, November 18 | 10:00 am-noon
- Wednesday, December 2 | 6:00-8:00 pm
Ways to help:
- Collect and donate plastic grocery bags
- Cut strips and assemble into “plarn” (plastic yarn)
- Crochet “plarn” into sleeping mats
UMCOR Disaster Relief:
Continued financial support for the survivors of the hurricanes and wildfires is needed for basic relief. 100% of your donation through United Methodist Committee on Relief will reach the individuals needing it most.
Arlington Non-profit Outreaches Who Assist Local Residents
Let all that you do be done in love.
-1 Corinthians 16:14