Put simply, outreach and missions bring change. Those we serve find joy in showing hospitality and appreciate the help and encouragement that comes with people serving them. The truth, however, is that the life changed the most, just might be your own. Those who work alongside other believers return to our church with a new respect for Christ, a deeper love for others and a humbler view of themselves.
Below is a small sampling of the organization and projects we engage in locally throughout the year. We challenge you to step out of your comfort zone and step into the purpose of God for the world—to share the love of Christ.
Visit our Upcoming Missions page to see what projects are in the works.
Local Organization and Projects
The Life Shelter is Arlington’s primary homeless shelter. It provides short-term shelter and services that assist the homeless integrate into their own housing and find employment if needed. FUMC of Arlington supports the Life Shelter through two dinner teams and two breakfast teams per month.
- Group of six or more to cook and serve breakfasts the first two Sundays of the month.
- Individuals to fill in on food teams the second Tuesday of the month or third Wednesday of the month.
- Food team coordinator: Michelle Clark 817-274-2571 ext 229
- Miscellaneous projects throughout the year such as helping process mailings, teaching classes, helping with the children, etc.
- To volunteer for other projects please call: 817-548-9885
Collaboration by Arlington United Methodist churches to provide assistance to those in transition or crisis through financial assistance, emergency food and toiletries and spiritual support.
- Assist in the AUM office with clerical duties or seeing clients
- Organize a food drive
- Assist FUMC of Arlington as we participate in Christmas in July by collecting toys. Deliver toys to AUM.
- To volunteer, please visit their website and fill out the volunteer application.
A program designed to provide an evening of respite for parents of special needs children once a month. A team of volunteers provides childcare the first Friday of each month while parents enjoy a night out with friends and family or tend to home needs.
- Be a playmate to a special needs child or sibling
- Provide a meal for the volunteers
- Provide special entertainment such as storytelling, music, magic tricks, etc.
- Volunteer coordinator: Rev. Kay Lancaster 817-274-2571 ext 262
Habitat for Humanity
An ecumenical partnership of God’s people in building affordable houses to help strengthen neighborhoods. Both FUMC of Arlington as a whole, as well as individual Sunday school classes, participate in Habitat projects during the year.
- Construction—build on a worksite
- Assist with special events
- Help in the office with clerical duties
- Volunteer Coordinator for Habitat: Angela Bills 817-926-9219 x105
- Volunteer Coordinator for the church: Michelle Clark 817-274-2571 ext 229
Backpack buddies is a feeding program for students at Wimbish Elementary.
- Help shop every six weeks
- Pack backpacks on a rotating schedule
- Gently used backpacks are needed and can be dropped off in the church office